NFCI will uncork your interest in grape growing and wine making and become a wine connoisseur! Work at local vineyards on the world class Niagara Wine Trail, where you'll to plant, prune, harvest, crush and make wine with your own hands.
Enrolled students will:
- Perform the necessary skills for seasonal vineyard operations of pruning, disease and pest control, grapevine canopy management, crop regulation and how they relate to wine quality.
- Successfully manage a vineyard.
- Develop plans for an integrated pest management program with the intent of maximizing wine quality.
- Evaluate property for vineyard development through site orientation, slope, water and air drainage, soil composition and location.
- Prepare reports to track ripening data, vineyard pesticide application, ground cover and canopy control.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the government regulations (OSHA) related to pesticide use, field sanitation and employment regulations to maintain appropriate compliance through participation in a course for certified pesticide applications.
- Incorporate the science of wine making, including the appropriate micro biological principals and sanitation requirements to analyze their impact on final wine quality.
- Discuss marketing, selling, retailing and visually merchandising cool-climate wines, in particular New York and Niagara Escarpment wines, to tasting-room patrons.
- Identify wine varieties and describe the historical and cultural geography of the wines of the world and the context of how cool-climate New York and Niagara Escarpment wines fit into the wine market place.
To meet the need for education in a growing and changing field, the College offers a Certificate in Wine and Beverage Management and an AAS in Winery Operations. The demographics of the surrounding community and the growing venues in hospitality/tourism of WNY necessitate the need for individuals to be diverse in the field of viticulture and viniculture.
Gainful Employment Outlook and Costs for Certificate Program
Find out what the job outlook is in a particular field after completion of a certificate program. Determine the costs associated for NFCI certificate programs. Cost information is available on tuition/fees, books and on-campus housing.
View information for Wine & Beverage Management.
In Winery Operations,
Every Course Matters.
- Sanitation & Safety
- Viticulture & Winemaking
- Winery Operations
- Sensory Evaluation
- New & Old World Wines
- Wine Chemistry
- Wine Regulations
- Food and Wine Pairings
* For full degree and certificate requirements, please visit the course catalog.