NFCI will uncork your interest in grape growing and wine making and become a wine connoisseur! Work at local vineyards on the world class Niagara Wine Trail, where you'll to plant, prune, harvest, crush and make wine with your own hands.
Enrolled students will:
- Perform the necessary skills for seasonal vineyard operations of pruning, disease and pest control, grapevine canopy management, crop regulation and how they relate to wine quality.
- Successfully manage a vineyard.
- Develop plans for an integrated pest management program with the intent of maximizing wine quality.
- Evaluate property for vineyard development through site orientation, slope, water and air drainage, soil composition and location.
- Prepare reports to track ripening data, vineyard pesticide application, ground cover and canopy control.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the government regulations (OSHA) related to pesticide use, field sanitation and employment regulations to maintain appropriate compliance through participation in a course for certified pesticide applications.
- Incorporate the science of wine making, including the appropriate micro biological principals and sanitation requirements to analyze their impact on final wine quality.
- Discuss marketing, selling, retailing and visually merchandising cool-climate wines, in particular New York and Niagara Escarpment wines, to tasting-room patrons.
- Identify wine varieties and describe the historical and cultural geography of the wines of the world and the context of how cool-climate New York and Niagara Escarpment wines fit into the wine market place.
To meet the need for education in a growing and changing field, the College offers a Certificate in Wine and Beverage Management and an AAS in Winery Operations. The demographics of the surrounding community and the growing venues in hospitality/tourism of WNY necessitate the need for individuals to be diverse in the field of viticulture and viniculture.
Every Course Matters.
- Sanitation & Safety
- Viticulture & Winemaking
- Winery Operations
- Sensory Evaluation
- New & Old World Wines
- Wine Chemistry
- Wine Regulations
- Food and Wine Pairings